Join us as a Volunteer
Meet our Volunteers and discover what it means to them to volunteer at Dementia-friendly Alton
Karen, a part-time nurse teacher with family experience of caring for a loved one living with dementia. 'I have been involved with Dementia-friendly Alton since it was created in 2014. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than knowing I'm part of an amazing team of volunteers that make a huge difference to people living with dementia and their carers. Co-ordinating the activities of this growing organisation is very challenging, but is rewarded every day with the smiles on the faces of our members and the positive relationships we have established with key organisations in Alton and the surrounding area.
Anne - 'Now retired, all my working life has been caring for people, from the young to the elderly. My work has taken me around the UK, Canada and Africa. In my spare time I enjoy walking, gardening and knitting. Volunteering with DFA gives me a great deal of pleasure'.
Debbie, a retired events and administration professional, enjoys co-ordinating all things creative at the Monday Craft session. 'I never cease to be amazed by the quality of artwork and crafts produced by the Creative and Curious Group. Everyone is so friendly, we have so much fun. I love my time volunteering with Dementia-friendly Alton.'
If you enjoy spending time with others whilst engaging in fun activities such as crafts, quizzes, games, music, singing, dancing and gardening - or just having a natter, then we'd love to have a chat with you regarding becoming a volunteer with Dementia-friendly Alton to help us to continue to increase the number of support sessions available. No experience or specific skills are required, other than 'patience', a 'smile' and a willingness to give some time to commit to any one or more of the regular dementia-friendly events in Alton and the surrounding area.
Full induction and training can be provided so why not contact us and come along to find out more. Our next Volunteer Training course commences in October 2023.
There are so many ways you might be able to help, such as......
- Every Monday - we have Creative and Curious at Edgar Hall from 10.30 - 12.30 help our members to engage with their creative side. If out doors is more your thing then help our Gardening Gang from 1300- 1530 at the Sensory Garden in the Town Park
- Every Wednesday at the Community Centre you can help with the Memory Lane Club, which includes: Courtyard Gardening, Friendship Lunch, Love to Move, Quizzes, Tai Chi and Crafts - activities run all through the day from 1030 - 1600. With tea, coffee and cakes being served throughout the day there’s also plenty of washing up to do!
- Every Thursday starts with a 'Walking for fitness' session from Edgar Hall - and follows on with games in the hall - practice your bowling skills with our members - they don't like losing !!!!! Afternoons are varied with Legions Legends, Allotment sessions and Tea Dances - something for everyone who volunteers. Help by participating in the digging, dancing, quizzing and chatting as all sessions include afternoon tea and conversation with those attending.
- Every Friday we spend all day at Edgar Hall - the day starts at 1030 - with Music Cafe - connect with your inner diva as we sing throughout the morning. Stay on over lunch to join the activities in the afternoon - more bowling and games - volunteers can help by participating in and encouraging the movement and exercise, as well as helping with tea and biscuits.
- One Saturday a month we spend the day at Alice Holt Forest - to Flourish in the Forest. As a volunteer on this day you can get involved with any of the activities - inclusive cycling, nature walking, yoga, crafts and of course more chatting!! Help with setting up the lunch for the day and enjoy being in the forest yourself!
- Support with other activities that are vital to service, including fund raising and promotional events, practical administrative support with poster designs, publications and a host of other activities. Whatever you'd like to do - we would love to hear from you.
We are hoping to increase the number and geographical area of our sessions to keep up with the increasing demand. However, we can only do this if we have more lovely people to join our amazing team.
How can you get involved?
* Follow us and our events on our Facebook page or website to find out more about what offer.
* Feel free to come along to any of the events that we hold to meet with current volunteers and see how the sessions currently run.
As part of the Volunteering Team full induction and support is available to help you gain the most from your experience. See policies section for Volunteer Guides and more information
We look forward to hearing from you!
Or why not express your interest below and we'll get back in touch to arrange an intial chat?